When and Where: September 18, 2019 – Wilmington, Del. (WU Athletics Complex)
Score: Wilmington (Del.) University 2, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: WU 5-0-0, SNHU 2-1-1
Freshman Sinisa Sprecakovic (Mannheim, Germany) scored his first career goal just 3:26 into the match, but a short-handed Southern New Hampshire University men's soccer team dropped a 2-1 decision to 17th-ranked Wilmington (Del.) University on Wednesday afternoon at the WU Athletics Complex.
- The goal moves Sprecakovic into second place on the team in points.
- Senior Michael Goncalves (Ludlow, Mass.) collected his team-best third assist of the season on the goal and is tied for the lead in points.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sophomore goalkeeper Patrick Quinn (Manchester, N.H.) made four saves, while Wilmington goalkeeper Gabriel Prgomet stopped one shot.
- The Wildcats held a 13-6 edge in shots, including 11-3 in the second stanza.
- Wilmington also owned an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks that included a 5-1 edge in the second half.
- This marks the earliest loss for the Penmen since they dropped their 2013 opener, before going unbeaten over their final 23 en route to capturing the NCAA Division II National Championship.
- Southern New Hampshire played down a man following a 28th-minute red card.
- Wilmington pulled even on a Penmen own-goal in the 53rd minute and then scored the eventual game winner in the 57th.
- SNHU falls to 96-16-12 (.823) over its last 124 matches dating back to the beginning of the 2013 National Championship season.
- The Penmen return to action Saturday, Sept. 21 (7 p.m.) when they play host to in-state rival Franklin Pierce University at Penmen Stadium.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.